Re: [LUG] Sat Nav Updates

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 16:28:02 +0100
lug@xxxxxx wrote:

Hello lug@xxxxxx,

>It depends on how involved you want to get but it's coming to the time

Ah "it depends"....

Plenty of people can't be bothered.  The likes of the denizens of DCLUG
are in the minority.  Most people want something that, as Simon says,
"Just works".

Consider also, that if your smartphone dies, you're screwed.  At least
with discrete phone and separate satnav there's a possibility that one
may work long enough for you to reach your destination.

>when you are better off just using an old (or new and cheap) Android
>device and an app like osmand (if you are happy with openstreetmap)

OSM is still poor in many rural areas.  There are still a few roads
missing from my area.  Consequently, it can't be used.  OSM is great,
but...

>Dedicated satnavs are headed the way of the dodo.

Maybe in the consumer market they're on the wane (I doubt that, TBH),
but that's not the only market.  LGV routing(1) devices (for example)
will remain extant for some time to come.

--
 Regards  _
Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty