Re: [LUG] Stenography and embedded license info

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 03:59:30PM +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> >Could it be useful for embedding a small text file in an image which
> >is creative commons so that the text file has the basic information as
>
> There's no need to do that as such capability is built in to most, if
> not all, image and video file formats anyway.  There's also plenty of
> software capable of editing/reading such metadata (as it's known).

Indeed.

Steganography is not so much hiding text in images, but doing so in such
a way that anyone seeing the image - even if they read the metadata -
have no idea that a message is being sent in the first place.

It's not just about images though. I've seen a malicious website that
hid configuration information in whitespace, where it was encoded in
binary through spaces and tabs.

Non-technical examples include a US soldier who was captured during the
Vietnam war and, during a video message in which he said he was doing
fine, used morse code to communicate through facial expressions he was
being tortured.

Or a letter in which the real message is read by reading every fifth
word.

Martijn.