Re: [LUG] Bloody politicians! Rant.

On 13/01/15 15:30, Brad Rogers wrote:
> I see that Cameron says he'll set about banning SnapChat and WhatsApp
> and other encrypted messaging services if he gets re-elected in May,
> unless British intelligence agencies are given access to encrypted
> content.
>
> He thus demonstrates, yet again, that politicians simply have no f*cking
> idea how the internet works and that it's a simple matter to sidestep
> their block.  All it does is stop law-abiding people having their fun.
> It won't stop the crims;  They're criminals!

Totally agreed. crypto with a backdoor might as well be plain text
anyway, and making it illegal will just mean that otherwise law-abiding
citizens who continue to use it (like I will) are now labelled criminals.

Criminals will still use secure crypto; they just won't use the software
with the backdoor, and the government will be no better off.

Anthony
--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action     http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/
just::thread C++11 thread library             http://www.stdthread.co.uk