Re: [LUG] Moving Dropbox to another drive

On Mon, 6 Oct 2014 13:45:25 +0100
Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Richard,

>Thanks for the reply. I am assuming that if I move my home directory to

YW.

>a new disk Dropbox will use that disk as well. As I am the only user

That depends on how DropBox is told what disk(s) to use.  If the path is
relative to user's home directory, then it shouldn't be a problem.  If
the path is absolute (i.e. referenced from /) to a directory that
doesn't exist any more, then you're stuck as in the current situation.
You'll have to reconfigure DropBox somehow.  It may be as simple as
editing the path to directory in the config file,  IDK, I don't use
DropBox.

>would it matter if I did the first rather than the latter. I believe it
>is basically what I want. I am presuming it is possible to undo?

Mounting a new disk over an existing /home is probably easier to undo
(just remove the relevant line in /etc/fstab) than moving the home
directory back using usermod.

>If it is not desirable is it simply because it will hide what was
>already there please?

Yes.  I was considering that the machine might be multi-user.  If it
were, some people might get a nasty shock when they log on and all their
documents, music files and pictures are, apparently, gone.

--
 Regards  _
Your life is like a schedule, you run to meet the bills