Re: [LUG] Moving Dropbox to another drive

On Mon, 6 Oct 2014 12:02:01 +0100
Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Richard,

>Having changed that setting I thought that would then allow me to use
>that directory as my home folder but it isn't. The original idea is so
>that I could use the big disk for my home folder but Dropbox still
>won't let me use it. Any ideas please?

Your line looks like this, I believe;

UUID=blah /media/Movies/home ext3 defaults        0       2

Which mounts disk at that directory.  If you want to use the disk
as /home you do

UUID=blah /home ext3 defaults        0       2

Be warned though, it'll mask (but not delete) anything previously
mounted at that point.  This probably isn't desirable.

However, if you want to simply change your user's home directory, fstab
isn't the place to do that.  That's done using whatever program you use
to manage your users.  Alternatively, from the command line;

# usermod -m -d /path/to/new/home/dir userNameHere

-m means move everything from their current home directory to the new
one.
-d specifies the path to their new home directory.

The new directory will be created if it doesn't already exit.

--
 Regards  _
Who's a sucker now?