Re: [LUG] Solid State Drive - first time

Iâm in the process of setting up Mint 17 on an SSD for my fiancÃeâs laptop

I found the following site mentioned reserving some unallocated space for the SSD:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd

(See Step 5)

They vary between 5% and 25%

Iâm not quite sure by the statement âI won't explain it here, but it boils down to not formatting a part of the SSD, which then remains unallocated space (unused capacity)â

So, is this a similar mechanism like SMART, whereby any bad sectors are swapped out with âspareâ ones? Only this seems a little more manualmatic â I do not like mystical rumours (when it comes to technology) as some potentially good willed reasons get lost in the mists of time (approx 6 months in the technology world) resulting in bad voodoo.

So, on a 60GB SSD we should reserve upto 15GB? Fifteen Gig?! Really?

REALLY?!

Iâd like to understand the reasons behind this too.

Itâs 2014 and Iâm not using an old OCZ (Iâm using a Kingston because Dabs had a sale on :o) )

(And just going back to Neilâs original post â Iâll be going with discard, noatime (esp. after reading Tsâoâs site) )