Re: [LUG] Solid State Drive - first time

On 03/07/14 18:38, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2014 12:41:01 +0100
> Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi Neil.
>>
>> There's also option 5) - don't treat it any differently to a normal
>> hard drive and do nothing.
>>
>> This has been my policy for three years with all SSD drives, windows
>> or linux, including those in-use in 24/7 debian servers. Touch wood,
>> apart from some of the notoriously bad early OCZ drives, I've yet to
>> have a failure or a noticable degredation in performance.
>>
>> Simon
>>
> That has never turned up as an option in all my research. Oh well, I
> will find out soon enough. My usage should not incur much in the way of
> deletes anyway. As I said, in time I will find out.
>
> It is certainly faster and of course very quiet.
>
> I shall be interested to see other comments,
>
> Neil

Well, with the best will in the world to Simon, the reason you've not
considered this as an option is because it isn't one: at least, not a
good one.

An SSD is objectively *not* a HDD. So don't treat it the same. Namely,
SSD's require TRIMming for optimal performance and if you just ignore
that aspect of administration your SSDs will perform slower* and wear
out quicker, which is hardly ideal.

In Simon's specific case, the performance hit is likely to be negligible
and an SSD's lifetime in a busy server is going to be drastically lower
that a consumer's home PCs' SSD anyway, but that's just a cost of
business and you'd expect the bean counters to sign off on another few
when it's time without complaints.

Nonetheless, I'm intrigued as to why Simon has neglected to enable TRIM
on his SSDs - he's not lazy, he's certainly not stupid and no matter how
busy he is, adding "discard" to fstab on a couple of servers is one of
the quickest jobs an admin will ever get. The windows boxes he mentions
*will* be running TRIM commands because on supported windows versions
it's automatically enabled: it would be interesting to know if the
TRIMmed windows SSDs last longer than the unTRIMmed linux ones on
comparative loads.

Anyway, for the final time please just add "discard, noatime" to your
fstab and call it a day!

For what it's worth I actually came across a bad SSD myself the other
day, pulled from a retired 1U Atom server I was gutting for parts.
Predictably, it was an old OCZ...

Regards

* not necessarily true in all cases to be fair - performance could even
improve in some corner cases without the TRIM overhead. More wear and
tear IS a definite without TRIM, however.