Re: [LUG] Solid State Drive - first time

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 21:37:58 +0100
Mike Grant <mgg+dclug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been running SSDs on my home machines and laptops for a while now
> without any significant issues.  I went for the 'discard' option.
> Perhaps the only real advice I'd give is make sure to have plenty of
> free space (~25%) so there's room for blocks to move around.  I have
> noticed the performance struggled when the disk was very full.

A quick check shows me that I am using 11% of the space on the drive at
the moment. I am never likely to even get close to  50%. But there is no
unallocated space, if that is what you mean.

> The only minor issue was that encrypted filesystems eat the discard by
> default, as it gives a strong hint to the bad guys as to where live
> data are.  LVM may or may not also pass the discards down to the
> disk.  You can enable both of these pretty easily if you want (e.g.
> http://blog.neutrino.es/2013/howto-properly-activate-trim-for-your-ssd-on-linux-fstrim-lvm-and-dmcrypt/).

I never use LVM. I may install truecrypt at some time. If so I will
research it carefully first. Thanks for the tip.

Meanwhile discard and noatime are now included in fstab as I said.

Thanks

Neil