[LUG] Solid State Drive - first time

Recently I ordered a new laptop and, for the first time I chose to have
an SSD. So I did some research beforehand including some questions to
the list. So I came across the trim command, which it seems is
necessary to keep your SSD in good nick.

I found lots of information on line, some of it conflicting of course.
There seem to be 4 ways of implementing trim.

1. Running the fstrim command manually as and when.
2. Adding the instruction to rc.local.
3. Setting up a cron job, or using one that is already installed.
4. Making a change to fstab.

No 1 was not recommended. Big Apple among others put an end to that one.
No 2 was favoured by some, but not by others.
No 3 My distro is Xubuntu 14.04 LTS which already comes with a cron job
set up. This was described as 'not the optimal method'.
No 4 This was the preferred method by some, not by others.

So, in the end, this is what I have done .....

I moved the cron job, cron.weekly/fstrim to another folder, effectively
stopping it from running.
I added discard and noatime to the relevant line in fstab.

Of course, early days yet, but it all seems to be working well. The
articles I read also warned about not defragmenting the disk, but I
assume that is Windows only, so I can ignore that.

If anyone has any advice, comments etc I will be grateful.

Thanks

Neil