Re: [LUG] Solid State Drive - first time

On 04/07/14 10:41, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> Somebody mentioned leaving 25% free space on the drive, should that be
> unallocated space or can you partition the full drive but use only 75%?
> as recommended for trim performance benefits.

Note that 25% is a rule of thumb - YMMV depending on your drive and
usage.  Personally I started noticing some write stalls when the drive
was >90% full.  It may be that a smarter drive would do wear levelling
better or might have a greater pool of reserve blocks than my (cheap) ssd.

I also allocated/formatted the whole capacity of the drive, but try not
to fill it all with actual data.  TRIM is to keep the drive informed as
to which parts are actually not used, so there's no need to
intentionally leave some areas unallocated.  I guess not allocating the
whole capacity would be one way to be very sure a percentage isn't used,
but I'd think that's overkill.

Cheers,

Mike.

Some randomly googled reading material: