[LUG] DNS was Re: website - why aren't we using the perfectly good domain we own?

On 05/06/14 10:08, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> On 4 June 2014 15:18, Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Could a redirect/alias be set up on the current site to dcglug.org.uk and
>> then we would have the flexibility to promote both?  Once the full
content
>> is on dcglug.org.uk of course.
>
> This is the thing people are missing - a domain is just a set of
> pointers to ip addresses (or aliases to other domains which point to
> ip addresses), nobody has to copy anything or redirect anything, you
> just point the appropriate DNS records at the appropriate server for
> the appropriate thing, it's not rocket science - it's fundamental to
> how the modern internet (since, say 2001) works.
>
> Anybody who doesn't understand DNS really should go and read up on it
> otherwise you really don't understand how the internet, localhost,
> your browser, your web server, etc work. In my experience interviewing
> and hiring people for tech roles down here, failure to understand DNS
> was a big red flag that that person didn't really get the internet -
> it's not like BGP, which is far enough away from most people's even
> web developers and most sysadmins work that you don't need to know it
> - it's like not understanding how postcodes or telephone numbers work,
> but for the internet.
>
> sorry to rant, but this kind of knowledge is really important if
> you're ever going to work or even dabble in this industry - the
> internet and thus fundamentals like DNS and the TCP/IP stack are now
> so much a part of everyday things that not understanding them will
> cause you to trip over all sorts of things.
>
> A.

I sort of understand all this stuff, I was just under some impression
that I somehow needed to copy the files from the site, give these to
simon etc,  I guess at that time there was talk about moving the actual
content from Gordons server to the dcglug server.   After which it all
went quiet.

In terms of learning this stuff, then any talks / workshops on it would
be welcome,  the Pi jams are pretty open we can section the room off
that has the projector (or ask for this) and we can do talks in one room
and hands on in the other.

- From what you are saying here, it seems people are leaving courses
(not sure what level) without the basics that employers need, this seems
to highlight problems with what is being taught, as in the curriculum,
so teachers can't be blamed here for following what the exam board set,
maybe if we did something like talks,  we could put pressure on
learners, to put pressure on teachers, who can put pressure on exam
boards to DO SOMETHING about this,  which in turn will benefit you as an
employer.

If as a lug we can help out local employers then that is a GOOD thing.

one thing at a time, lets get the domain / dns sorted,  then discuss
about other things.

Paul

- --
http://www.zleap.net
@zleap14
Torbay Raspberry Pi jam info - http://dcglug.drogon.net/torbay-pi-jam/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and
vulnerable groups and expect any school, establishment or organsation that
I am involved with to share this commitment.