Re: [LUG] website - why aren't we using the perfectly good domain we own?

On 4 June 2014 15:18, Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Could a redirect/alias be set up on the current site to dcglug.org.uk and
> then we would have the flexibility to promote both?  Once the full content
> is on dcglug.org.uk of course.

This is the thing people are missing - a domain is just a set of
pointers to ip addresses (or aliases to other domains which point to
ip addresses), nobody has to copy anything or redirect anything, you
just point the appropriate DNS records at the appropriate server for
the appropriate thing, it's not rocket science - it's fundamental to
how the modern internet (since, say 2001) works.

Anybody who doesn't understand DNS really should go and read up on it
otherwise you really don't understand how the internet, localhost,
your browser, your web server, etc work. In my experience interviewing
and hiring people for tech roles down here, failure to understand DNS
was a big red flag that that person didn't really get the internet -
it's not like BGP, which is far enough away from most people's even
web developers and most sysadmins work that you don't need to know it
- it's like not understanding how postcodes or telephone numbers work,
but for the internet.

sorry to rant, but this kind of knowledge is really important if
you're ever going to work or even dabble in this industry - the
internet and thus fundamentals like DNS and the TCP/IP stack are now
so much a part of everyday things that not understanding them will
cause you to trip over all sorts of things.

A.

--
Aaron J Trevena, BSc Hons
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk