Re: [LUG] EU ruling on Google

On 19 May 2014 23:59, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 18/05/14 21:24, Philip Hudson wrote:
>>
>> If you don't want someone using the courts
>> to force you to change the software they use, don't deny them the four
>> freedoms.
>
> Lets be clear, if Google source code was free software (and a lot of
> what it runs on is free software), they still provide a service you
> can't afford to provide,

... if you seek exactly to mimic their business model ...

> and have first mover advantage. So that is
> nonsense.

You have a point, but that's not really what I'm talking about. I'm
not asking to be able to replace or compete with them.

> Even if you could contribute code back to Google which results in a
> better search service than they have

That *is* what I'm exploring. I haven't thought it through.

> (and I suspect few folk could,
> otherwise why don't they go run a search engine and make billions?),

The aforemenioned first mover advantage and other variations on the
theme of incumbency.

> suspect it will still index information people don't like, and think is
> irrelevant to the term they entered.

You're probably right about that, but I don't see that as strong
support for denying the user's freedom; looks like a wash to me.

I should add that we're getting into territory that may be of more
concern to others than to me -- in other words, I'm not too bothered
whether Google can be moved an inch or two towards respecting freedom.
I long ago decided that Google was unsuitable for search. I still use
other Google services, but always with an eye to migrating away at the
first practical opportunity.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63