Re: [LUG] EU ruling on Google

On 18 May 2014 20:41, Martijn Grooten <martijn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But do you really think 'relevance' and 'outdatedness' can be defined by
> a court?

I think they probably can't be defined by anyone else. Which is a
non-answer, of course. :-)

> Even if it could be, I'm not sure if I'd be happy with courts making
> such decisions: taking a search engine to court is expensive and
> complicated.

What makes a search engine an especially expensive and complicated
type of litigant?

> And, for society as a whole, doesn't scale.

*If* that's true, whose problem is it to remedy?

> So you'll likely get the situation where only those with deep pockets
> (large companies) and perhaps a few individuals will go to court.

But this is not the case, as we have seen.

> And
> the sensible thing from a business point of view would be for the search
> engines to avoid this by removing the information. Or not listing it in
> the first place. Chilling effect and all that.

>From the search engine's business point of view, I take it. There's
that word again: removing, not qualified by "from the search results
page". The consequence you posit is a non-sequitur. Which is not to
say that there might not be some other reason to fear that this
judgement entails that chilling effect, just that this formulation
doesn't capture it.

The judgement of the court is that justice, not personal interest
alone, requires this particular "chilling"; by which I mean to say
that chilling effects and slippery slopes are not what we're dealing
with here. Freedom of expression is not in question, nor is good,
valid, contemporary, relevant information being suppressed. Not all
information is equally valid, and Google does not (nor does it claim
to) assess validity, yet it is effectively authoritative, and nobody
else but Google is in a position to correct bad search results.

Of course, if Google wanted to open their system up (see my earlier
list of gratis and libre technologies on which it is built and run),
I'm sure the academic and FLOSS worlds could come up with something
better than just trusting them to do their best, without damaging the
reputation they've built for reliability. Perhaps in the end repeated
unforeseen applications of justice principles will force them to do
so, at least to some degree.

> It's a complicated issue and I think both sides have strong arguments,
> but I think Google's case is the stronger.

Well, I don't, but I do agree it's not simple, obvious, or
open-and-shut. As I said, my initial response was to side with Google.
I also think it bears pointing out that there's really no blame being
apportioned to Google, except for that one aspect that bedevils all
closed/proprietary systems: the blocking of feedback and dialog across
the boundaries of ownership and control. Google's real problem is that
there is no (easy, open, licit) way for anyone outside Google --
perhaps especially a foreign non-techie -- to make Google commit
changes it doesn't care to make, whether for good reasons, bad reasons
or none, nor any way to fork a better solution in the face of
recalcitrance. That's fine as long as Google never makes a mistake,
but guess what? They did. (Yes, they did. The fact that the one result
was correct did not sufficiently justify its sole inclusion. You don't
agree, you offer testimony in the case to that effect. Believe me,
Google covered that base and they failed to impress.) What avenue for
effecting the change is left to someone who is excluded by the legal
concepts of proprietary ownership of code and of code as a trade
secret, except the courts? If you don't want someone using the courts
to force you to change the software they use, don't deny them the four
freedoms.

What is free software? - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63