Re: [LUG] EU ruling on Google

On 18 May 2014 18:25:26 BST, lug@xxxxxx wrote:
>On Sun, 18 May 2014 15:25:14 +0100, Philip Hudson
><phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>No, no, no. The test is objective and subject to legal challenge:
>>irrelevant and outdated personal information that disadvantages an
>>individual must not be the first or only result returned. Not just "I
>>don't like it" but "it's harmful misinformation for *both* the public
>>*and* the individual"...
>

>Obviously not irrelevant (especially if you were going to lend this guy
>money or extend him credit), not outdated (not really that long ago)
>and
>not misinformation (it's true). Apart from that you are bang on!
>
>Rather than waste what I guess is a ton of cash on lawyers (I don't
>suppose he is paying though) this guy should have set-up a website
>detailing his generous donations to charity or how he fosters sick cats
>or how he did some fantastic deeds and get his mates to link to it then
>this wouldn't be the only thing Google can find out about him. The fact
>that he hasn't taken that pretty obvious step indicates to me that he
>isn't a good guy so isn't really deserving of our sympathy.
>
>Let's just say that instead of going bankrupt (which must surely be
>commonplace in Spain these days) he had murdered someone. On coming out
>of jail he hears about Google and does a search on himself and is
>surprised to find just one hit detailing his crime. Would it be okay
>for him to get that taken down?
>
>As Spock would say, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the
>few, or the one."
>
>Kevin

Interestingly under UK law, if you go bankrupt then the discharge default is after a
year. It is removed from your credit record after 7 years.

I believe this is part of the process that punishment is not meant to go on forever.
(In the us, I believe I read recently, some states mandate that a criminal record
should not be taken into account in a job application)

FWIW I also understood that in Spain, if you go bankrupt then your mortgage debt is
not written off.

If I am correct then I do wonder what would happen to a UK expat who went bankrupt
in Spain and then returned home