Re: [LUG] Firefox blocking

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 20:59:29 +0100
Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

>To be fair, that ethos is what has made Debian strong and also popular.
>It's pretty important. There are other options available that purport

I agree.  I was not trying to imply Debian should ditch that ethos.  It
is important to many people.  For those that truly don't care about such
things there are other distros.

>Fond of debian as I am, I'm not convinced it's the best /desktop/
>distro, unless you're running a derver. [1]

I use it as a desktop, and am happy with it.  One of the reasons I moved
to it was because of the fact it's free, as in beer.  It does what I
want, without issue, so I'm happy.  Like Mandriva, and Mandrake before
it, Debian has its foibles.  I've got used to them.  I don't see the
point of constantly changing distro looking for "the one".  It's not
what I use computers for.

>> Trouble is, with the update rate of ff, it's entirely possible that
>> each release has another, possibly larger, set of unknown bugs.   :-)
>Well, yes. That's a whole different kettle of annoyance!  That was the
>tipping point where I began to suspect Mozilla started to lose the

They do seem to have foisted some things on an unwilling/unsuspecting
public on occasion.

>However, ff and tbird are still my most often used programs by some
>margin.

Never used Tbird.  I tried kmail, didn't like it, installed Sylpheed,
then moved over to Claws, and have been with it for about 12 years.
Using Linux for 14 or so, with Debian being the distro of choice for
about ten of those years.

>[1] It's possible I just invented this word. Desktop/Server. It was
>that or Sersktop.

:-)

I thought initially it was a typo for server, but that didn't make any
sense.

--
 Regards  _
Your father was a megalomaniac, you've got an insane brother