Re: [LUG] Firefox blocking

Hi Brad,

On 15 April 2014 20:30, Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 19:59:24 +0100
Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

>Actually, I don't much, but I do think it's ridiculous. As a onetime
>debian desktop user (not currently), it has always been an absurd
>situation that most users couldn't give a monkeys about, only that
>software they want is called something else and much older than it
>should be. Same with Thunderbird.

With the growth of Linux, that's a valid point. ÂMost people these days
*don't* care. ÂOf course free, as per DFSG, is important to the "powers
that be".

To be fair, that ethos is what has made Debian strong and also popular. It's pretty important. There are other options available that purport to take the "best" of debian and add newer software on top.

Fond of debian as I am, I'm not convinced it's the best /desktop/ distro, unless you're running a derver. [1]

>If software doesn't fit debian's ethos, stick it in non-free or don't

ICBW, but AIUI firefox wouldn't fit in either non-free or contrib,
because of the trade mark issues.

You're probably right, but I would say to leave it out entirely, not breed some bastardised version that nobody loves.

Trouble is, with the update rate of ff, it's entirely possible that each
release has another, possibly larger, set of unknown bugs. Â :-)

Well, yes. That's a whole different kettle of annoyance! That was the tipping point where I began to suspect Mozilla started to lose the plot. However, ff and tbird are still my most often used programs by some margin.

Simon

[1] It's possible I just invented this word. Desktop/Server. It was that or Sersktop.