Re: [LUG] Firefox blocking

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 19:59:24 +0100
Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

>Actually, I don't much, but I do think it's ridiculous. As a onetime
>debian desktop user (not currently), it has always been an absurd
>situation that most users couldn't give a monkeys about, only that
>software they want is called something else and much older than it
>should be. Same with Thunderbird.

With the growth of Linux, that's a valid point.  Most people these days
*don't* care.  Of course free, as per DFSG, is important to the "powers
that be".

>If software doesn't fit debian's ethos, stick it in non-free or don't

ICBW, but AIUI firefox wouldn't fit in either non-free or contrib,
because of the trade mark issues.

>package it at all. The current situation results in insecure and
>outdated versions of a very commonly used piece of software.

Trouble is, with the update rate of ff, it's entirely possible that each
release has another, possibly larger, set of unknown bugs.   :-)

--
 Regards  _
We don't need no-one to tell us what's right or wrong