Re: [LUG] Gnome are broke

On Sun, 2014-04-13 at 18:45 +0100, bad apple wrote:
> On 13/04/14 18:24, Rob Beard wrote:
>
> > How about Unity? That's pretty awful.
>
> You're not wrong! But it's actually not as bad as it used to be (that
> isn't saying much though: I believe the relevant term here is "damning
> with faint praise"). There are the issues with global menus (borrowed
> from OS X, no less odious here in Linux than there), missing
> close/minimise/maximise buttons (which when they are there, are in the
> wrong place, i.e., the left, also a la OS X) and general crappiness
> though. Gnome 3.x is still marginally less crappy than Unity, but
> there's not much in it to be fair and Gnome 3.12 does significantly
> raise its game in the crappiness stakes.
>
> > Is there any clone available for Linux?
>
> There is actually, from a veteran nekochanner but they never really
> finished it off and it's now languishing in the realm of abandonware:
>
> http://www.maxxdesktop.com/site/
>
> > I've recently installed Linux Mint XFCE on a low ish spec machine I have kicking
> > around at home and it's actually looking pretty good, almost considering
> > switching to XFCE on my laptop.
>
> XFCE is low rent and ugly as sin, but it does work well, is pretty
> consistent and above all reliable. It's also got a much lower footprint
> on disk and memory than the big three craptastic Linux DEs (KDE, Gnome,
> Unity) which can't be a bad thing.
>
> Hmm. You make a good point. The only thing that stops me immediately
> switching is the massive pile of custom shortcut keys I've been using
> forever in Gnome/Awesome that have unfortunately been irrevocably burnt
> into my muscle memory. With the way Gnome is going recently they'll
> probably all stop working soon anyway so I can switch then...
>
> Hopefully around the time I can dump Linux as a desktop OS. I've stopped
> looking at alternative Linux distros (they're all crap) and am seriously
> contemplating BSD as my daily driver at the moment. FreeBSD 11 is
> looking solid, and I can have ZFS and pf natively without the attendant
> Linux stupidity to deal with.
>
> Regards

Iam afraid I just switch the gnome desktop in to fallback mode as soon
as I encounter iffy performance or have to think too much about the way
it is supposed to work.
Its just like gnome classic but simple.
its in System -Settings-Details-Graphics
I can  play with a utopian desktop later but still have functionality.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
A dedicated Linux user