Re: [LUG] Gnome are broke

On 13/04/14 18:24, Rob Beard wrote:

> How about Unity? That's pretty awful.

You're not wrong! But it's actually not as bad as it used to be (that
isn't saying much though: I believe the relevant term here is "damning
with faint praise"). There are the issues with global menus (borrowed
from OS X, no less odious here in Linux than there), missing
close/minimise/maximise buttons (which when they are there, are in the
wrong place, i.e., the left, also a la OS X) and general crappiness
though. Gnome 3.x is still marginally less crappy than Unity, but
there's not much in it to be fair and Gnome 3.12 does significantly
raise its game in the crappiness stakes.

> Is there any clone available for Linux?

There is actually, from a veteran nekochanner but they never really
finished it off and it's now languishing in the realm of abandonware:

http://www.maxxdesktop.com/site/

> I've recently installed Linux Mint XFCE on a low ish spec machine I have kicking
> around at home and it's actually looking pretty good, almost considering switching
> to XFCE on my laptop.

XFCE is low rent and ugly as sin, but it does work well, is pretty
consistent and above all reliable. It's also got a much lower footprint
on disk and memory than the big three craptastic Linux DEs (KDE, Gnome,
Unity) which can't be a bad thing.

Hmm. You make a good point. The only thing that stops me immediately
switching is the massive pile of custom shortcut keys I've been using
forever in Gnome/Awesome that have unfortunately been irrevocably burnt
into my muscle memory. With the way Gnome is going recently they'll
probably all stop working soon anyway so I can switch then...

Hopefully around the time I can dump Linux as a desktop OS. I've stopped
looking at alternative Linux distros (they're all crap) and am seriously
contemplating BSD as my daily driver at the moment. FreeBSD 11 is
looking solid, and I can have ZFS and pf natively without the attendant
Linux stupidity to deal with.

Regards