Re: [LUG] Gnome are broke

On 13 April 2014 18:00:55 BST, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I say this as a Gnome user, I'm looking at 3.10 right now (through the
>prism of Awesome, to be clear). Gnome's only advantage these days is
>that it's still not as terrible, unintuitive and bloated as KDE, the
>only *nix DE to manage the impressive task of being even more hateful
>than the native Windows or Mac OS X environment.

How about Unity? That's pretty awful.

>Earlier today I was updating some nekochan ports on my Octane2, which
>runs Irix 6.5.30 and the Indigo Magic Desktop GUI. IDM is 21 years old,
>and is better than Gnome in almost every conceivable way - just for a
>start, I'm allowed transparency if I want it, I get all three buttons
>(close, minimize, maximise) in the top right of all application windows
>and it doesn't have a bunch of retarded linux-only dependencies like
>systemd. Oh, and it's much, much faster as well, and quite a lot
>prettier out of the box.

Is there any clone available for Linux?

>Thankfully I'm not that hung up on desktop environments, as long as
>they
>provide me with several virtual spaces to put all my terminals and let
>me set a cool background picture of some kitties I'm not really that
>bothered what I use but all the same... some consistency would be nice.
>
>Now I'm going to cross my fingers and pray the next story I read will
>be
>that RedHat are broke and as a result they've had to fire Lennart
>Poettering. Once can hope.
>
>Regards

I've recently installed Linux Mint XFCE on a low ish spec machine I have kicking
around at home and it's actually looking pretty good, almost considering switching
to XFCE on my laptop.

Rob

--
Sent from my Sinclair ZX Spectrum