Re: [LUG] Fwd: Microsoft scam man is sentenced

On 01/04/14 19:04, Martijn Grooten wrote:

> Perhaps it would help if those drivers making the same mistake
> (speeding, drunk-driving) but who through circumstances didn't kill or
> injure anyone were given the same sentence as those who do. That's more
> likely to make people think twice.

Indeed, and having driven since age 17, I've probably driven the
equivalent of 10 times around the world, and I can't promise it was all
as attentive as it could have been (despite very few accidents, all
minor, and several of those when my vehicle was stopped).

I can't even make the claim it was all sober, as on a particular
dramatic occasion I jumped behind the wheel to deal with an emergency
realising only after doctors, hospitals and ambulances were dealt with,
that I had probably been over the limit at the start of events. This is
easily done, I was woken to deal with something and the previous
evening's drinking was not the first thing that comes to mind in such
circumstances.

Greater legal minds than ours have pondered the balance here, and I
don't think it is satisfactory. We punish people hard when the outcomes
are bad, but rarely when there is no bad outcome, for the same misbehaviour.

People make mistakes, other people feel aggrieved, and one can't always
tell if someone's mistake is genuine, or reflects choices, leaving aside
the question of free will.

> (Apologies for continuing this obviously off-topic thread.)

Likewise...