Re: [LUG] Fwd: Microsoft scam man is sentenced

On 01/04/14 17:25, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 04:30:46PM +0100, Julian Hall wrote:
I agree there, driving offences like that should carry a
manslaughter charge.. that would stop them!
You know, I don't drive, so perhaps drivers' brains are wired
differently, but I somehow can't imagine someone deciding that the risk
of killing someone is worth taking, but the risk of killing someone and
being sent to prison isn't.

Martijn.
That's not my point. I'm not saying people drive with the idea that if they kill they'll just get a slap on the wrist /obviously/. However, a greater penalty would - OK should - make people think twice before driving in a manner which is more likely to cause a death, than legally, e.g. speeding in a built-up area or drunk-driving. At the moment the worst case scenario for most offences is a hefty fine and a driving ban, if however the worst case scenario was a hefty jail sentence people /would/ think twice. At the end of the day they've caused a death, and company directors have been charged with manslaughter negligence for deaths they had no personal involvement in at all. I'm just saying drivers deserve the same penalty.

Julian