Re: [LUG] Routing around damage

On 20 March 2014 19:26, Daniel Robinson <manipula@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ehm, I am not missing the point!

I think you are, I understand the benefits that there are for organisations that need to keep costs low (data usage) such as linux distributions etc however I know this is not what my clients are using the network for. They are using it for downloading illegal stuff which is unacceptable.

It would be very easy for an ISP to whitelist specific torrents if they really gave a damn about piracy, which obviously they don't.

ISP = Internet Service Provider.

Not a police force, not a guardian of my moral welfare, not a nanny, not an anti-virus provider, not the protector of your children. Some may offer such additional services, and some might even be fairly good at them - and of course some are required to block certain websites such as thepiratebay by our government - but don't foist agendas on them that isn't their business.

*I* don't want my isps to decide what I can and cannot view or do on the internet any more than I want the government to. If I want such functionality I will choose to add it myself.

So please don't assume things on my behalf as a fellow ISP customer, Daniel. Look after your own needs, not mine.

(Besides which, it is not as technically simple as you seem to assume, nor is it automatically legal for them to do so.)