Re: [LUG] Routing around damage

On 20/03/14 19:26, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> Ehm, I am not missing the point!
>
> I think you are, I understand the benefits that there are for
> organisations that need to keep costs low (data usage) such as linux
> distributions etc however I know this is not what my clients are using
> the network for. They are using it for downloading illegal stuff which
> is unacceptable.
>
> It would be very easy for an ISP to whitelist specific torrents if they
> really gave a damn about piracy, which obviously they don't.

There's quite a few things here I'd like to comment on but I do agree
100% that if it's *your* network (I'm presuming here a private,
personal, home network rather than a corporate one you are paid to
admin) then yeah, it's your rules.

Disregarding bittorrent legitimacy, best ways of blocking network
traffic and why you didn't use a cheaper and more powerful solution than
a Draytek router my big question is:

Rather than blocking torrent traffic for your naughty users, why didn't
you just ban the offenders completely from your network once you
explicitly asked them not to bittorrent illegal stuff? 'Cos that's what
I would have done. Screw playing whack-a-mole with them as they
experiment with the other million ways to bypass your router's ACLs
getting pirated stuff: if I'd provided them with access to my network,
given them a brief list of categorical no-noes (CP, illegal torrents,
etc) and they'd then blatantly ignored me and done it anyway there'd be
hell to pay. Not only would I permanently ban them I'd be having very
serious words with them as well.

Your users (housemates maybe?) sound like highly disrespectful tossers.

Cheers