Re: [LUG] Google ...Re: X10 kit

Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 09:58:45PM -0000, Simon Waters wrote:
>> Google advertising has established that someone on my IP address is
>> interested in automated source code analysis,
>
> Do you really mean your IP address rather than someone with your set of
> cookies?

Fairly sure it is IP address.

In the browser on one machine I cleared all cookies and they still keep
coming. I don't think it is tied to google account, although I very
occasionally hope onto my personal account from my work laptop, but don't
think I've done that recently.

Similar ads on other devices.

I guess for targeting it makes sense to use IP address, as if we were a
company with a central office my colleagues would be seeing the same ads,
rather than my 5 year old son. Given the alternative would be random ads,
any targeting is likely to be better than none, and that is going to make
a big difference to Google's bottom line.