[LUG] X10 kit

Hi folks,

A while ago in PC World I found they were selling a new bit of kit from Belkin called the WeMo (http://tinyurl.com/belkinwemouk) which you could remotely turn appliances on and off from your phone.

Looking at it a bit further, it looks to be a more consumer friendly version of X10 kit with a flashy web interface and about a 40 quid price tag.

It got me thinking about some of our kit at work where it would be nice to have the ability power cycle some kit remotely for those occasions when I need to remotely reboot something and no one is around (it also saves me a drive over to the site and finding someone with a key to let me in).

The thing is, I have absolutely zero experience of X10 kit (if Big Bang Theory is to be believed, it's possible to control lights over the Internet) so I'm thinking it might be something that could be useful. However I'm not entirely sure what kit to get and if it'll either work with Linux or have it's own built in web interface that I can just link to the network.

My other thought was if there is any such kit that will control a mains supply via a Raspberry Pi (but something off the shelf rather than anything I'd have to build myself... I don't trust my electronics skills enough and don't want to set the server room on fire!)

Does anyone on here have experience of X10 kit or know of anything that might do the job?

Rob