[LUG] Google ...Re: X10 kit

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014, lug@xxxxxx wrote:

Google just bought Nest who make the flashy (and expensive)
web-controlled thermostats and smoke alarms so if you find Google
creepy now then just wait until they know a lot more about you than
just what you do online ;)

My car is in for some work - at a garage in Totnes... So I left it there and visited in-laws - also in Totnes... An hour or 2 later I thought I'd call the garage to see how they were getting on - went to "people" in my Google Nexus 5 phone, typed in race - realised it wasn't in my contacts list, but a second later, google googled it for me - and came up with the Racecourse garage, complete with a picture - and offerd to call their number...

Google/the phone knew I was in Totnes and found the most appropriate match when it wasn't in my contacts. Did it also know I'd recently visited the garage to narrow down the search? Who knows.

Spooky/Creepy? Yes, but what the heck - 35 years ago I was being told that computers would make my life easier - now they are and am I happy with it?

Not sure. Really not sure.

Gordon