Re: [LUG] X10 kit

On 19 February 2014 13:02, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi folks,

A while ago in PC World I found they were selling a new bit of kit from Belkin called the WeMo (http://tinyurl.com/belkinwemouk) which you could remotely turn appliances on and off from your phone.

Probably worth discounting the WeMo altogether if you're even considering it: http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/656302

In a professional environment I'm too used to ethernet PDUs which can provide nice switching/monitoring with full control over HTTP (via some convoluted API or web interface) or SNMP. I don't make the purchasing decisions but I understand they're possibly a touch expensive, but worth it if you have other benefits (in our case, time scheduled power management for an entire room of equipment that didn't need to be on 24/7). e.g. http://www.raritan.com/products/power-management/px-2000/

Shaun