Re: [LUG] Commandeering X

On 26/01/14 10:47, Philip Hudson wrote:
> Thanks for the in-depth solution.
>
> On 25 January 2014 19:09, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> fiddle with pulseaudio so we can have it running a single
>> system-wide instance (this may well cause other problems though, be
>> warned):
>
> This gives me pause. I need to understand the implications better.
>
> Say I follow your recipe for pulseaudio deliciousness, enjoy my fill,
> and now kill my desktop session and restart mdm, and the next user who
> logs in (using the greeter) is not me. Will pulseaudio be hosed for
> them? To prevent that, will I now need to add a
> re-enabling-default-per-user-pulseaudio incantation to my leaving
> ritual? (Is that even what I would be re-enabling?)

It shouldn't cause any problems, except in a couple of unlikely
corner-case scenarios: if you were to start using the machine as a true
multi-seat device (i.e., multiple attached keyboard/mouse/monitors for
simultaneous users) then the audio service can possibly fall over as
everyone fights for resources. Recognising new sound devices can also be
a problem with pulseaudio running as system-wide daemon apparently:
unless you're planning on swapping your sound card on a regular basis
this shouldn't be a problem either. There are some theoretical security
issues as well but I've never read of anything concrete.

To reverse out the changes you would only need to replace the edited
/etc/pulseaudio/daemon.conf with the original, or comment out or change
the following lines back to "no":

daemonize = yes
system-instance = yes

And then restarting the pulseaudio daemon will put you back to normal,
so it's not a lot of hassle to revert if you need to after testing.

If you really want the grisly details, Poettering himself explains it here:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/WhatIsWrongWithSystemWide/

But as per usual I would feel completely happy totally ignoring him.

Regards