Re: [LUG] Commandeering X

On 21/01/14 12:01, Philip Hudson wrote:
Given admin privileges, how can a remote user, connected into a debianoid (actually Mint Debian Edition) host with an ssh shell session, dismiss the locally displayed *dm greeter and start their own desktop session, effectively as if they had logged in locally using the greeter? I know it seems like a weird thing to want to do, but I'm just frustrated that I can neither remember how nor figure it out.

What I've tried is stopping the *dm service via /etc/init.d then killing any remaining *dm and associated greeter sessions, then running either 'env DISPLAY=:0.0 startx' or 'env DISPLAY=:0.0 xinit', both failing thus:

X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

My investigations have taken me searching for xauth-ish stuff deep in the bowels of /var, but not finding anything resembling the documented files.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

I think you have to use a remote client of some form (VNC?) or you can ssh -X into the machine which allows you to run things on the remote machine that come up on your local X screen. You dont even need X running on the remote machine to do this.
Tom te tom te tom