Re: [LUG] New tablet computer

On 03/01/14 08:55, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 02/01/14 19:06, bad apple wrote:
On 02/01/14 00:19, Rob Beard wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 12:42:15 +0000, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

So if anyone on the list could give me some suggestions I would be very
grateful. My wife uses her computer just for emails and browsing,
including FB. She would also like to have a camera included in the spec.

No gaming required.

Help needed, please

I'm going to weigh in on this as well - I should probably mention right
at the start that I have just bought an iPad Air for the missus for
Christmas, and I'm going to recommend you do the same (although as your
wife is spending her own money on it, at least you won't be ~£500 poorer
afterwards, unlike me...)

In 2012 I bought a 9.7" tablet from here http://www.amazon.co.uk/PIPO-Tablet-Bluetooth-Android-Capacitive/dp/B008YTF6HG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388769655&sr=8-1&keywords=tablet+pipo+9.7+max-m1 for about £140 and added a 32 GB sd card. It works well with Android 4.1 and does everything I need. I bought it to go off to France for 6 weeks and various other trips during the year but I must confess that I also took a Linux laptop as well, as I can't quite bring myself to trust the security (or non security?) in Android.

In September I also bought a 5" Star S5 Smart phone from here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BY2OKN6/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 again for about £140 with Android 4.2.

One thing I've found when connecting to wi-fi networks, if there is password protection some sites will ask for password and then connect. Others will say they are connected with no password, but you cannot get at any data. To do so you have to open a browser to access the wi-fi site and then enter a password. This happens on Linux as well as Android. I don't know if this is so on Apple. I do know that this behaviour would be reason enough for a lot of people I know to give up and condemn the device as a load of rubbish.

There is a lot of advice about Android security or lack of it on the web. One site at http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-secure-your-android-phone-and-protect-your-data-139442/ gives a 12 point plan to secure your phone as follows:
1  Never leave your phone/tablet lying around where it can be accessed
2  Use a lock screen
3  Set a pin to protect purchases on Google Play
4  Install a phone location app or other anti-theft app
5  Don't install apps from dodgy 3rd party sites
6  Always read reviews of apps before install
7  Check that the permissions the app asks for are needed
8  Never follow links in unsolicited emails etc
9  Use an anti virus/anti malware app
10 Don't root your phone unless you need to
11 If your device has valuable data on it then use encryption
12 Use a VPN on unsecured wi-fi connections

What is the opinion of you people who have been round the block with these devices? Is this sufficient, some of it unnecessary, inadequate? I'd love to get with the message and leave the laptop behind.

By the way, re: plug in keyboards for tablets, I bought one, tried it to see that it worked and it has sat on a shelf gathering dust ever since.

George