Re: [LUG] New tablet computer

On Wed, 1 Jan 2014, Neil Winchurst wrote:

So if anyone on the list could give me some suggestions I would be very grateful. My wife uses her computer just for emails and browsing, including FB. She would also like to have a camera included in the spec. No gaming required.

If you want a camera to take photos with, then the prices start to rise. The key thing to be aware of is that cheaper tablets with a single camera have the camera front-facing - ie. facing towards you - designed for selfies, skype, etc. it's not designed for taking photos of scenery, other people, etc. (So a sub 1MP camera for that is perfectly adequate)

And "is it me?" when I see people using tablets to take photos, videos? Get a camera for goodness sake! Then again, I've just gotten a new phone with an 8MP camera and it's pretty good (although it's still hand sized and not tablet sized!)

If you get a tablet that's running jellybean or kitkat then its spec. will be fine. Watch out for kitkat though - the MPP protocol won't work with sone Linuxes, so plugging it into USB may not give you the experience you want )-:

(As I've just found out with my new Nexus 5 and Debian Stable)

The later versions of android are even more google soul sucking than ever... and who downloaded the Snowman game from channel 4 recently? To run it, you give it permission to upload all your contacts to Ch 4. Lovely. (Google gets your contacts for free, but who needs NSA/GCHQ when your phone apps upload everything anyway)

I got this fwiw:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Tablets/8%22+Sumvision+Cyclone+Voyager+IPS+16GB+Tablet+PC+?productId=56405

Front facing camera only though.

Gordon