Re: [LUG] New tablet computer

On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 12:42:15 +0000, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> So if anyone on the list could give me some suggestions I would be very
> grateful. My wife uses her computer just for emails and browsing,
> including FB. She would also like to have a camera included in the spec.

> No gaming required.
>
> Help needed, please

If you didn't need a camera I'd have suggested a Barnes & Noble Nook HD
which is about Â90.  Not sure what the camera is like on other tablets (I
got my daughter a cheapo Â35 tablet but the camera was only 0.3
megapixels).  I've found the Nook to be pretty good, runs Android
4.something, has a dual core CPU and runs everything I throw at it (mainly
Internet, Netflix and Facebook).  What I don't like though is typing on it.
I use Swype on my phone and I'm used to swiping my finger across the
screen but it doesn't work on my Nook.

Saying that, I gather it's possible to attach a Bluetooth keyboard (I've
already pledged my Â50 for one of these...
http://bluetoothzxspectrum.elite-systems.co.uk).

You might want to look at the Kindle tablets (although you can't get
Google Play on them as far as I know but the Amazon App Store isn't bad and
you get a free app every day) or maybe even the new Tesco Hudl tablet
(although going on what I've seen on Twitter, the after sales support is
poor, someone I follow had one, it failed after a week and it's taken him 3
weeks to get a repair rather than in-store replacement).

Other than that, for the pure Android experience there is the Google Nexus
tablets, or if you want something with a stylus I gather Samsung have a
Note Tablet (8 inch is it?) out now.

I guess you could say, you're spoilt for choice :-)

Rob