Re: [LUG] New tablet computer

On 02/01/14 19:56, bad apple wrote:
On 02/01/14 19:45, Tom wrote:
There are 3 disadvantages to the iPad
3: There is a vast amount of really good free software that wont run on it.
Tom te tom te tom

What, you mean like every other tablet out there that hasn't been rooted
or re-flashed by someone who knows what they're doing, and then set up a
chroot on it? Which in itself is a decidedly non-trivial operation.

Chief, we're talking about tablets here: if the lady in question wanted
a full GNU stack and the ability to apt-get install things we would be
talking about laptops, not tablets.

Do try and keep up :]

Cheers

oops wrong link!
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices#Working_with_phablet-flash Doesnt look harder than installing linux a few years back. So you can get a nexus 7 or 10 and turn it into back into a real computer - and the lady in question can get her sysadmin to do this for £130 for a second hand nexus7 and the sysadmin can get a trio of spares and still be up on the deal. I've got a mate who's going to try it on his phone and as soon as a version for the 5 comes out I'm trying it - if I'm not busy with the new Dell Chromebook and crouton coming out in feb ish or that damn parallella may have arrived.
Tom te tom te tom