Re: [LUG] Hardware Encrypted SD

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013, bad apple wrote:
Just as a matter of interest, there is no Nobel prize for mathematics.

Whoops, you're not wrong... Fields Medal maybe?

The Abel Prize. It is only a few years old, but it has already established itself as the Nobel Prize for mathematics.

Either way, I think we can be reasonably sure the gentleman I was
replying to doesn't have one of those either.

Rolling your own "brilliant" new crypto ideas: don't do it people.

While that's generally true, it also depends on the threat model you're defending against.

Crypto is hard, implementing crypto is even harder and implementing good crypto is incredibly difficult. So if you want to use crypto to protect information that would be of interest to GCHQ, don't even think about using your own brilliant new crypto.

But there are certainly cases where steganography can be useful. Say, you work for a medium-sized organisation and you want to blow the whistle about some illegal and/or immoral activity a colleague is involved in. Hiding the information inside some 'ordinary' traffic or data could be useful in such a case.

In general, ensuring your data "doesn't look like encrypted data" is a bad idea.

Martijn.