Re: [LUG] Firefox Session Manager Add-on

On 28 Nov 2013, at 18:04, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer works fine for me, and then
> it "just works" in all browsers. I know that Chrome and IE these days
> include their own tweaked versions that theoretically should work
> better, but as I have no problems with the basic plugin anyway, and
> both those browsers are hateful abominations, I'll stay well away
> thank you.

Adobe have promised security support till early 2017 for Flash Player 11.2 on Linux,
which to be honest I very much doubt they will deliver on, not least no one will
want it.

However running Flash circa 2012 in 2017 probably won't fly, I've already hit
content that doesn't play, and the performance difference is already huge, and there
are hardware specific fixes in 11.9 not in 11.2, they can only accumulate over the
next 3.5 years.

Adobe are aiming at gaming (3D) and DRM video, and the Linux support for both was
lousy (and is vastly improved already in 11.9).

Of course games and DRM video may not fly in the corporate sector much, but it puts
Firefox in a bad place for the foreseeable, at least till the migration from Flash
is near complete.