Re: [LUG] Google and adwords OT

Kevin Lucas <kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Hi all
>Do you mind if I have a rant about Adwords?

I have been an adwords user for about 5 years [recently stopped] and to be honest I
think it is largely a con. I have a seasonal holiday business and I noticed that
although you get more clicks during the Summer season there is a base level of
clicks even during the Winter although those clicks don't seem to translate to
business. Also the Google bid suggestions are often way higher than you actually
need to make to get on the first page. If adwords didn't exist I think everyone
would still get the same business so it's really just an expensive Google tax.

Google organic search is also totally screwed for a lot of businesses. They give way
too much weighting to keyword stuffed domains regardless of link quality or site
popularity. If you start a new business today I think you basically need to name it
like <town><business segment>  eg. Paignton Plumbers, to give yourself a chance on
Google.

As you might have guessed not my favourite company.

Kevin