Re: [LUG] Linux Format Magazine

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 17:25:27 +0000, "Tremayne, Steve"
<steven.tremayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I guess I'm still old-school... I enjoy reading stuff "offline"...
>
> The cover DVDs are a mixed blessing - complete waste of time when we can
> download it in seconds, but for those that have no ADSL (inc 3rd world
> countries - it's a global mag), then the DVD's their only way of keeping
up
> to date.

Even if you're in this country living out in the sticks can mean really
slow download speeds and sometimes it's just easier to get the ISO on a
DVD, plus there's stuff on there that sometimes I might not have considered
looking at :-)

> Plus... it saves me having to download a distro, just to burn to a disk,
> just to recover someone's knackered windows partition :)

Yup, it's come in handy a few times for me too, just having a DVD handy in
my laptop case or even in the car for those "while you're here can you have
a look at my laptop?" moments.

> But yeah, I've got quite a pile of CDs / DVDs here now ... not sure what
> to make from them - perhaps a parabolic solar collector death ray?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Parabolic-solar-ray-gun-a.k.a-solar-death-ray/

Finally a use for all those old AOL CDs :-)

Rob