Re: [LUG] Powering Raspberry Pi from DC PSU?

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 18:37:14 +0000, Mark Evans
<mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 12/11/13 14:00, Rob Beard wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> One for the Pi users out there.  I'm looking at putting a Raspberry Pi
>> somewhere where a mains connection isn't available.  I want to be able
>> to run the Pi for at least 8 hours a day, 7 days a week and it's going
>> to be high up so not easy to get to.
>
>> I was thinking about some sort of POE solution.  I have to hand a
>> TP-Link POE Splitter which will output 5 volts at 2 amps and has a DC
>> barrel connector.  I was wondering though if anyone knew of any cables
>> that either have a DC plug on one end and connections for the GPIO pins
>> on the other end or a DC plug on one end and a MicroUSB plug on the
>> other?
>
> You might be better off with a custom design to suit your requirements.
> I'm sure Ray or Gordon have some good ideas.
>
> The TP link splitters look like they expect 48VDC from either an
> injector or POE switch.
>
> What is your actual power source?

Probably a POE switch, we use lots of POE splitters on the site where the
Pis will go already, failing that we have some injectors too kicking around
:-)

I'll try and dig out a Micro USB cable and try splicing one of the DC
cables I already have.  I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do that but I
guess with a couple of connector blocks it will do if it's in a nice neat
box :-)

Rob