Re: [LUG] Borked system rescue plan

On 21/10/2013 09:36, Daniel Robinson wrote:
So on IRC last night I was told that I should use dd instead of tar.

from what I understand dd will clone the disk including free space.

I don't want to back up free space, however I do want to clone the entire disk. In windows I'd use "Acronis True Image" to back up and restore partition tables and their content whilst not backing up the free space Thus saving space on the back up drive.

I guess what I am looking for is a solution that will back up my system files as mentioned above and a bootable cdrom which has recovery software on it to allow me to restore the system files when i break everything.

Afraid to progress any further until I can find such a solution.

Kind Regards

If you're happy to do it manually I'd suggest CloneZilla or System Rescue CD. Or maybe you could make a bootable USB hard drive which boots one of the above rescue distros and runs an automatic backup for you (they are scriptable, their web sites have information on how to do it). It can backup the drives in your PC to an image and it can copy just the used space. Also works with Windows partitions too (well CloneZilla does, it's been a while since I used System Rescue CD).

Rob