[LUG] Borked system rescue plan

Hey guys,

So I have a habit of braking my system usually just after I set it up just the way I like it.
I know Unix doesn't have the requirement of 'windows like' system restore and that a proper back up method is needed.

Could anyone in simple terms explain what I need to backup and how I recover from the backup when things go wrong. I have plenty of space to do regular backups if required.

I'm using Debian Jessie multiarch 32x64

Kind Regards