Re: [LUG] Borked system rescue plan

On 20/10/13 02:19, Daniel Robinson wrote:
Hey guys,

So I have a habit of braking my system usually just after I set it up just the way I like it.
I know Unix doesn't have the requirement of 'windows like' system restore and that a proper back up method is needed.

Could anyone in simple terms explain what I need to backup and how I recover from the backup when things go wrong. I have plenty of space to do regular backups if required.

I'm using Debian Jessie multiarch 32x64

Kind Regards

The most important thing is a regular backup of /home. I should add that I have just rebuilt a system - copying /home back from its store was a doddle however I've still got to re-install and reconfigure all the apps I had running - I've reinstalled 15G of repository packages and that can take time.
When I say re-installed I upgraded at the same time but I I had just reinstalled the same version I would have had all the packages in a local apt-cacher-ng repository which would have speeded up the install and rebuild by several orders - we're talking days here. And I still have to re-configure a few things to get them working which can be a serious pain as it sometimes takes a while for the bug to appear that requires the re-configuration and there's so much noise on google these days...
So this makes me wonder whether a regular full backup everything other than /home is not a bad idea. I've made a point of storing extremely low information rate data like videos and pictures and music off system as it needs handling separately.
Tom te tom te tom