Re: [LUG] Borked system rescue plan

So on IRC last night I was told that I should use dd instead of tar.

from what I understand dd will clone the disk including free space.

I don't want to back up free space, however I do want to clone the entire disk. In windows I'd use "Acronis True Image" to back up and restore partition tables and their content whilst not backing up the free space Thus saving space on the back up drive.

I guess what I am looking for is a solution that will back up my system files as mentioned above and a bootable cdrom which has recovery software on it to allow me to restore the system files when i break everything.

Afraid to progress any further until I can find such a solution.

Kind Regards