From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Gordon Henderson
Sent: 19 September 2013 12:14
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Battery powered 3G modems / Wifi hotspot

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013, Simon Waters wrote:

>> Doesn't seem bad for a tenner a month :-)
>
> Check the terms as for me, a fairly keen data user, it was still
> cheaper not to take the goody bag. The contrast with some other
> providers prices for exceeding limits is stark.

Hm. Let me check.. For the £10/month goody bag (which I use), I get 1GB of data a
month. (+ 500 minutes & unlimited texts, free GG to GG calls)

PAYG data is:

   *Mobile internet is charged at no more than 20p a day (up to 20MB). If
     you go over 20MB, you'll be charged extra at 20p/MB.

So for 30 days @ 20p/day it's a minimum of £6.00 a month. That's very reasonable -
until you go over the 20MB/day limit...

The £4 difference between that £6 and the tenner goody bag represents 20MB of
additional data. (20p/MB, so £4 is 20 units of 1MB = 20MB)

So say one day you "burn" 100MB reading the BBC news, downloading a few apps, etc.
that's 100 * 20p = £20.

But if you can mostly use Wi-Fi and never (or rarely) use 3G (turn auto-update,
sync, etc. off) then it might well be cheaper to stick to GiffGaffs PAYG tarrif and
not get a goody bag at all.

I did try it the first 2 months - and for me it was marginal, and I was conciously
trying to not use mobile data, so just went with the £10/month deal... (And it was
much better than my old £19/month thing I was paying
O2 for previously anyway, so I still feel I'm better off!)

The down-side of the goody bags is that you can only have one a month, so if I burn
my 1GB allowance in the first day, I'm stuck with 29 days of PAYG data prices before
I can renew the goodybag.

My wife tried a SIM in her tablet for a couple of months and just looking at email,
weather, and a few web pages and she came close to the PAYG allowance (of £15) in
the first month...

But if you fancy giffgaff, then:

   http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gordondrogon

will earn us both a fiver ;-)