Re: [LUG] DIY :Re: OT: NSA: Do they or don't they?

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013, bad apple wrote:
This NSA business is the gift that just keeps on giving... there is no
bottom to this rabbit hole apparently.

http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography@xxxxxxxxxxxx/msg12325.html

From John Gilmore no less. Ouch.

The cryptography mailing list has been a great resource for understandin the technical details and implications of recent revelations regarding the NSA.

In this particular case, I would like to hear the comments of other participants in those discussions.

I've followed a few IETF working groups (mostly as a lurker, and none were about actual crypto standards) and they tend to get pretty political. I've learned to take comments from participants, no matter how well respected they are, with a pinch of salt, unless backed up by others.

More generally, there has been a tendency to believe anything people who are "against the NSA" say, and to disbelieve everything the NSA says. Much as I understand that sentiment, I'm not sure if it's helpful.

The recent events should be a good lesson to scrutinize standards and implementations. But just because the NSA co-wrote or endorsed something, it doesn't mean it's weak. And likewise, just because the NSA says something is weak, it doesn't mean that it's something they can't break.

Martijn.