Re: [LUG] Separate Home Partition

On 06/09/13 17:43, bad apple wrote:
On 06/09/13 08:42, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Well, I did ask, thanks. I will print the relevant parts of this and
study at leisure! One lesson learned, do it properly in the first
place. I will also research some more, especially as you seem to
suggest that a separate home partition may not be a good thing??

Support for the ubuntu distros has now been reduced to 9 months
instead of the previous 18 months, except for the LTS versions of
course. This is one reason for my question. It seems that moving to
the next version in future is going to be needed more often, and I
always do a fresh install as opposed to an upgrade.

Neil

The separate /home partition thing really comes down to a matter of
choice I think - in my experience the majority of skilled linux users
swear by having a separate /home (although nearly always on the same
disk as /, which to me seems a bit silly and self-defeating - it's like
keeping your backups on the same system as you're backing up).
Personally I don't bother unless there is a specific usage case for it,
which in my case, is following documented partitioning practices for
certain usually highly secured systems. None of my personal machines
have ever had a separate /home unless it's being NFS mounted or something.

Thanks for all the help so far. One reason for my question was the suggestion that having a separate home partition could be useful when upgrading, as I do, via a new installation as opposed to an upgrade.

The idea, as I understand it, is to install the new system files into the root partition, replacing the previous ones, but to leave the home partition alone. This would save having to restore the previous home files and make it quicker and easier to be ready with the new version.

This would require that the home files be in their own partition. Is this in fact feasible and/or feasible?

Neil