Re: [LUG] Separate Home Partition

On 05/09/13 19:24, bad apple wrote:

Hey, this is the helpline isn't it?

You can definitely do this post-install, whether or not it's a good idea
I'll leave as a discussion for others. I'm also not touching the "is it
good practice to have a separate home partition" issue either, as you
seem to have decided what you want to do and who am I to argue.

So, here we go:

0: Backup everything you care about
1: Boot a live distro (ideally gparted*)
2: Repartition your / partition down to whatever you like
3: Create new partition for /home in the empty space
4: Before rebooting, mount your old / partition and your new /home rw on
your live system
5: Edit the mounted /etc/fstab** file from your mounted hard drive to
reflect change
6: Move the entire /home from your old / to your new /home
7: Unmount all drives, reboot

* gparted from http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
** editing fstab can vary hugely between systems - broadly speaking on
linux you can simply add a line like:

/dev/sda4    /home    ext4    defaults    0    2

Well, I did ask, thanks. I will print the relevant parts of this and study at leisure! One lesson learned, do it properly in the first place. I will also research some more, especially as you seem to suggest that a separate home partition may not be a good thing??

Support for the ubuntu distros has now been reduced to 9 months instead of the previous 18 months, except for the LTS versions of course. This is one reason for my question. It seems that moving to the next version in future is going to be needed more often, and I always do a fresh install as opposed to an upgrade.

Neil