Re: [LUG] DIY :Re: OT: NSA: Do they or don't they?

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013, Martijn Grooten wrote:

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013, Simon Avery wrote:
And if you choose not to reveal your keys, passwords or locations - there's some rather harsh penalties which (I understand) can keep you in jail pretty much forever if they can't break your encryption by technical means and have reasonable suspicion you're doing something bad. (I've not monitored this as closely as perhaps I should, nor do I know if it's been acted upon as it takes away the assumption of innocent until proven guilty along with some other anti-terror legislation)

It's still hotly debated:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/08/forced-decryption-legal-battle/

Well, that's in the US. In the UK it has already happened. There is no debate. It's the law.

For example:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/11/ripa_iii_figures/

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/oct/05/password-computer-teenager

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23776243