Re: [LUG] Separate Home Partition

On 06/09/13 20:47, Simon Avery wrote:
> And it really is easy. For benefit of others, it goes something like this;
>
> Check your automated backup systems are fresh and operating normally.

Ha ha, this is epic!

This is basically step 0 in every operation you will ever perform on
*any* OS, particularly anything remotely dangerous.

It's also quite a high bar to set for the most basic requirement of all
unfortunately - c'mon, hands up, who actually has one of these?* Honestly?

It's a bit like starting a tutorial with: firstly, ensure your system is
entirely secured and has no bugs at all. Next up, do the following...

But it is still really, really good advice. This is perhaps why Simon
and I (and presumably others) don't particularly like or see the need
for things like separate home partitions, which really strike me at
least as an unnecessary restriction that I'm only going to have to fix
at some point down the line when my /var or /opt partitions overflow and
I end up having to shift partitions around, for no particularly useful
reason. I just roam freely and seamlessly between buildings, networks,
jobs, operating systems and computers - I can work on anything as long
as I've got network access and a terminal secure in the knowledge that
*all* of my goodies are neatly stored, secured and versioned in a
combination storage/backup system just at the other end of a ssh
connection.

Even different linux flavours have bad habits of storing all your .dot
files in different places, under different hierachies - let alone other
OS's. Solaris stores user accounts under /export/$username instead of
/home/$username by default for example, Cygwin creates a 'fake' user
home under C:/cygwin/home and this is before we even touch on AIX,
HP-UX, Irix, Windows, *BSD... Trying to maintain a static home directory
that can seamlessly be transported through different systems is a
disaster waiting to happen in my opinion/experience. Go on, just swipe
your current /home from your main system on *buntu, rsync it over to a
CentOS box, get your UID/GUID matched up and chown -R your permissions,
and then try and log in. Just wait and see how much stuff will be
broken. If anyone has ever tried teleporting a /home from any Linux to a
Mac OS X box they will know how painful this can be...

Your effort is far better spent on having a proper, easily and securely
accessible store of all your important stuff (also known as "a backup").
On upgrading, moving machines, temporarily using machines, changing OS
releases or even complete versions you just log in fresh to a new
pristine functional environment, scp your setup-scripts.tar.gz into
place and unpack. From there you obviously have your usual set of
scripts to configure your environment, rsync/git clone/svnlite
co/whatever the tool and data selection you want as appropriate. Well,
that's how I roll anyway *shrugs*

I guess it all depends on how you work though: if you don't have to use
countless different machines and most OS's known to man on a weekly
basis it's probably a much easier proposition to try migrating your
/home through successive machines. I'd bet almost any money that
old-schoolers like Gordon and Tom have got beautifully organised /homes
with highly customised .tcsh and whatnot that they've been using
seamlessly for 20+ years.

Regards

* puts hand up